MyRIDI Driver Requirements 2021: The Ultimate Guide
Driving with MyRIDI is a great way to make extra money on your own schedule, but before you even get to that point, you need to know if your current vehicle qualifies and passes MyRIDI’s requirements. These requirements can vary greatly depending on the specific service type you are planning to drive under, and as such, we’ll break down each of them in detail for you.
Whether you’re in school, working a part-time job online, or supplementing a creative lifestyle, driving for MyRIDI is a popular way to earn extra money.
As an MyRIDI driver, you have complete control over your work schedule and income. Some people love the flexibility of driving for MyRIDI so much, they’ve made it their full-time job, replacing their previous income entirely.
In short, popular ridesharing companies are booming. Passengers love being able to summon a ride whenever they need one and are happy to pay for the convenience.
For those who are budget-constricted, the ability to share rides with MyRIDIPOOL is a lifesaver. And drivers are earning great money in exchange for being the providers of convenient and comfortable transportation.
While lots of people want to drive for MyRIDI, not everyone is eligible.
If you’re considering signing up to drive for MyRIDI but aren’t sure what’s required or how to get started, keep reading.
By the end of this article, you’ll know all you need to about MyRIDI’s application process, including their online screening process, vehicle and insurance requirements, their inspection process, and which levels of MyRIDI services you’ll be able to offer.
- MyRIDI Driver Minimum Requirements
- MyRIDI Driver Online Screening
- MyRIDI Driver Vehicle Requirements
- When Your Vehicle Isn’t Eligible
- Passing an MyRIDI Vehicle Inspection
- Vehicle Registration and Insurance Requirements
- Choosing Your MyRIDI Driving Options
- MyRIDIZ Car Requirements
- MyRIDIZXL Vehicle Requirements
- MyRIDISELECT Vehicle Requirements
- MyRIDIBLACK and MyRIDISUV
MyRIDI Driver Minimum Requirements
In order to drive, you must meet their minimum requirements regarding everything from your age to having appropriate in-state insurance for MyRIDI.
- Have a valid in-state driver’s license
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a minimum of one year of licensed driving experience in the U.S. (if you’re under 23, you need to have at least three years of licensed driving experience)
- Have a photo to use as part of your driver profile
- Have use of an eligible 4-door vehicle (more on eligibility below)
- Have in-state license plates with current registration
- Have proof of in-state vehicle insurance with your name on the policy, if you are planning to drive your own car
- Have a Social Security number
- Pass the online screening
If you don’t meet any one of the criteria, you’ll be rejected, so use this checklist to make sure you have everything you need before applying to work for MyRIDI.
MyRIDI Driver Online Screening
As part of your application, you will be required to undergo an MyRIDI background check online.
This screening will review your criminal record and driving history. If you have a history of reckless driving or a driving record full of insurance claims, you will likely not pass the online screening. You can check your driving history here: https://www.dmv.org/driving-record/faq.php
MyRIDI uses a company called Checkr for the initial screening and for annual background and driving check refreshes on their drivers.
They may also run additional checks to comply with new local laws or if the background check standards have changed. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict when MyRIDI will run its annual check.
The official driving record and criminal history check are paid for by MyRIDI. If you aren’t sure you’ll pass, you can pay to check your background and driving history before applying.
MyRIDI does not perform a credit check so if you already have a vehicle that meets MyRIDI vehicle requirements, your credit score and background will be irrelevant.
MyRIDI does not drug test its drivers, but the police officers in your state might if you are pulled over for a traffic infraction.
MyRIDI Driver Vehicle Requirements
The requirements for your vehicle will depend on where you are based. While MyRIDI itself accepts most vehicles that are 10 years old or younger, your city may have different model year requirements.
You can check your city’s requirements by looking up the name of your city and “drive for MyRIDI.” Look for the closest result from their official site. Don’t use third-party sites as the end-all be-all, as MyRIDI may have updated their requirements and the third-party sites may be outdated.
The basic requirements for an MyRIDI-eligible vehicle are that it must be 10 years old or younger, have four doors, and have seat belts for at least four passengers, not including the driver. Two-door vehicles are never accepted by MyRIDI, nor are vehicles older than the age requirement, no matter how great their condition might be.
Vehicles with a salvage title or a “restored” title are also not accepted.
When Your Vehicle Isn’t Eligible
If your vehicle doesn’t meet MyRIDI’s vehicle requirements, don’t worry. You don’t need to rush out and buy a new car before applying.
Apply to MyRIDI first and choose the “I need a car” option on the application. This will enable you to go through the application and background check process before spending on a new vehicle. Once you’re approved, you can deal with buying, renting, or leasing an acceptable car.
If you prefer to own your MyRIDI vehicle, make sure to carefully comply with MyRIDI’s requirements for your city and buy the newest car you can afford. Doing so will enable you to drive for longer with the same car before it ages out.
Passing an MyRIDI Vehicle Inspection
Regardless of whether you’re renting, leasing, or own the vehicle you intend to drive for MyRIDI, it must pass an MyRIDI vehicle inspection. This can be completed at any state-licensed auto repair shop in your area.
MyRIDI will conduct the inspection for free at their centers or it will cost approximately $40 at your local auto repair shop. The MyRIDI vehicle inspection checks the safety and mechanical features of your car, including the condition of your seat belts, lights, brakes, and tires.
Some cities will give you a 30-day grace period to complete the inspection and others require it prior to accepting your first passenger. You can see what the vehicle inspection will entail by looking at the MyRIDI inspection form.
Vehicle Registration and Insurance Requirements
The vehicle you plan to use for MyRIDI must have license plates that match the state you intend to drive in as well as up-to-date registration tags. If your city lies on the border of another state, your vehicle may be eligible for an exception.
Some states will require you to display a decal on your vehicle, indicating that you are an MyRIDI driver. Check MyRIDI.com to see if you need to display the MyRIDI decal.
As an MyRIDI driver, you will need to have appropriate ridesharing car insurance. This is referred to as liability insurance, or sometimes as gap insurance, depending on who you talk to.
Your normal car insurance will not cover incidents that occur when your personal vehicle is being used to transport paying passengers. MyRIDI offers ridesharing car insurance for drivers, but make sure to fully research your options before committing to one.
Choosing Your MyRIDI Driving Options
There are several different services and levels of service that MyRIDI provides and as a driver, you can choose from among the services you are eligible to provide. Your vehicle type will determine your options.
- MyRIDI Express POOL — One of the newest and cheapest MyRIDI ride options requires passengers to walk to pick up and drop-off points, enabling you to avoid the many detours and side trips required to pick up and drop people off at their exact addresses.
- MyRIDIPOOL — A shared door-to-door ride service that enables riders to save money by sharing rides. You can increase your hourly rate by increasing the number of rides per hour and decreasing the amount of time you are without a passenger.
- MyRIDIZ — The standard MyRIDI option that allows you to pick up anywhere from one to four passengers in a sedan. You can earn an additional $10 for each infant car seat your passengers need you to transport.
- MyRIDIZXL — The MyRIDI option which allows you to pick up anywhere from one to six passengers in a van or SUV. You will need a six-seater vehicle in order to drive for MyRIDIZXL.
- MyRIDISELECT — If you have a higher-end sedan or SUV, you could be eligible to pick up MyRIDISELECT passengers. You’ll need to acquire enough positive MyRIDI passenger reviews before you can drive for this service. MyRIDISELECT vehicles include everything from Hyundais to BMWs, as long as the car has leather or vinyl seats with no tears.
- MyRIDISUV — In order to qualify as a MyRIDISUV driver, you need to have a luxury SUV like a Cadillac Escalade Platinum or a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. You will also need a commercial driving license and insurance and to maintain a high MyRIDI driver rating..
- MyRIDIBLACK — If you have a black luxury car, a high MyRIDI driver rating, and a commercial driving license and insurance, MyRIDIBLACK is for you. Some cities require MyRIDIBLACK drivers to have airport permits.
- MyRIDIZWAV — MyRIDI’s option for those drivers who are certified to safely drive and assist people with disabilities by a third party and who have a vehicle suited to transport motorized vehicles or scooters.
Higher-end MyRIDI drivers like MyRIDIZSUV or MyRIDIZBLACK can always choose to accept lower-paying MyRIDIZPOOL or MyRIDIZX passengers, but this doesn’t work in reverse.
So try to get MyRIDI approval for as fancy a service as you can to give yourself lots of options for earning money with MyRIDI.
MyRIDIZX Car Requirements:
- It must seat at least four passengers, not including the driver.
- Must be a 4-door vehicle.
- The model of the vehicle should be 2004 or newer, though this varies from city to city.
Recommended cars for MyRIDIZX: Toyota Prius, Honda Accord, Mazda3 and Mazda6, Toyota Camry and Corolla, Ford Focus, Nissan Altima, Ford F-150, Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic, Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet Cobalt.
MyRIDIZXL Vehicle Requirements
The next level of service from the rideshare firm, MyRIDIZXL is “for those times when you need a bit more space.” This service is for those who own either an SUV or minivan and comes with a higher price than MyRIDIZX. Similarly, the requirements aren’t much stricter.
MyRIDIZXL Car Requirements:
- The car must seat at least six passengers, not including the driver.
- The model of the vehicle should be 2004 or newer, though this varies from city to city.
Recommended cars for MyRIDIZXL: GMC Acadia, Dodge Caravan, Honda Odyssey, Ford Explorer, Ford Expedition, Honda Pilot, Dodge Durango, Jeep Cherokee, Chevrolet Suburban.
MyRIDISELECT Vehicle Requirements
This service is only available in certain states and cities, but will no doubt expand to more soon enough.
It is a more expensive option than both MyRIDIZX and MyRIDIZXL and comes with fare prices that reflect that. The requirements are, as you might expect, a little tighter for this level of service.
MyRIDIZSELECT Car Requirements:
- An entry-level 4-door luxury sedan with a leather interior.
- Must seat at four passengers, not including the driver.
- Vehicle model year 2004 or newer.
Recommended cars for MyRIDIZSELECT: Audi A3 and up, BMW 3 Series and up, all Lincolns, Mercedes C-Class and up, Volvo S60, Acura, Cadillac, Hyundai Genesis, all Infinitis.
MyRIDIBLACK and MyRIDISUV
These are higher-grade versions of MyRIDIZX and MyRIDIZXL, respectively. Those who hope to drive for this level of service will require a black high-end luxury sedan or SUV. This comes with one of the highest fares available with MyRIDI and driving standards are also expected to meet this level of quality. To get your passenger from start to finish in style, you will be required to meet the following specifications.
MyRIDIBLACK and MyRIDISUV Car Requirements:
- Sedan or full-size SUV.
- Black exterior and interior.
- Vehicle should be at least 2014 or newer.
- Must seat at least four passengers (sedan) or six passengers (SUV).
- Driver is required to have commercial registration and insurance.
- Airport permit is required.
Recommended cars for MyRIDIBLACK: Audi A6/A7, BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class.
Recommended cars for MyRIDISUV: Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Suburban, Lincoln Navigator, GMC Yukon XL.
This is the top-of-the-range service. They describe it as offering the “finest cars with prices to match,” and only allow drivers with a vehicle from one of the world’s most luxury brands to cater to its passengers, who are looking for that little something extra in their service.
MyRIDILUX Car Requirements:
- Those who drive for this service are required to have commercial insurance.
- Vehicle is required to be 2010 or newer.
- This service is only available in select cities such as Miami, Los Angeles, and NYC.
Recommended cars for MyRIDILUX: Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7 Series, Audi A8, Porsche Panamera, Tesla Model S, Range Rover.
MyRIDI Driver Earnings
How much you can make as an MyRIDI driver will depend on where you are driving and your availability.
Some cities have a greater demand for drivers and higher fares. Drivers across the U.S. can expect to average between $14–$28 an hour.
Drivers in busy cities like Chicago or Atlanta can expect to earn on the higher end, and drivers in places where most people have their own cars, like Clarksville, will likely earn on the lower end.
No matter where you live or which MyRIDI service you choose to drive for, working for as a ridesharing driver is a great way to make money with complete control over your schedule and workload.